These muffins are a HUGE hit with my kids. Probably because they are like PB&J muffins. I found them very easy to make, very moist, and definitely on the healthy side. I will most likely try to make them vegan on the next batch but we shall see! Here is the recipe I used from EatingWell.com. Yummy!
1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract (although next time I might use almond extract instead)
1/3 cup jam (I used fresh strawberry jam but the recipe recommends a tart berry like raspberry or cherry)
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup sliced/chopped almonds
raw sugar (approx 1 tablespoon, just to sprinkle on top)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and coat muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. Whisk flours, baking powder & soda, salt in large bowl.
3. Whisk eggs, brown sugar till smooth, then add buttermilk, orange juice, oil, and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula until moistened.
4. Mix jam and almond extract in a tiny bowl and set aside.
5. Scoop batter to fill each muffin cup half-way. Then scoop about a teaspoon of the jam mixture into the center of each muffin cup. Cover each muffin with more batter up to the top of the cup (they will rise significantly).
6. Sprinkle each muffin with chopped almonds and a dash of raw sugar. *I just put about 1/4 cup of whole raw almonds in a food processor to chop up*
7. Bake for 15-25 minutes. (For my oven 15 minutes was the perfect amount of time.)
ENJOY!! - You can check out EatingWell.com for the nutrition facts.